“What are some breakfast ideas that are good for pre-cleansing?”
We get this question a lot.
When we are used to eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, buttered toast, breakfast ideas that follow the Elimination Diet before we begin the shake routine can be challenging.
So here are some ideas we’ve compiled that should get through the few days of pre-cleansing easily and make your tastebuds happy too! Try some of these ideas either on or off the 7-Day or 21-Day Clean Program!
Elimination Diet Breakfast Ideas
- Hot cereals (non gluten grains like brown rice, millet, amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa)
- Or bake the hot cereal with any additions that are “clean” into granola and serve with almond or coconut milk (unsweetened)
- Fruit (especially those with more fiber and less sugar like apples and berries, or those that are very hydrating like melons)
- Make your own coconut yoghurt! There are recipes online for adding probiotic capsules to non-dairy full fat milks. . . let us know how it goes and don’t be afraid to experiment!
- A unique twist on PBJ’s: non-gluten crackers topped with raw almond butter and plain (no added sugar) fruit preserves or fresh fruit slices or thawed frozen fruit (it’ll be syrupy as it thaws which will be very similar to fruit jam) or roll it all up in a brown rice tortilla (from Food for Life) or a piece of millet lavash bread (from Sami’s Bakery). Lettuce is also a wonderful sandwich wrapper!
- Salmon & Avocado slices (simple and delicious, many gourmet brunch restaurants have this on their menus so it makes going out easier while on the elimination diet!)
- Noha’s Buckwheat Pancakes
- A whole (or half) papaya (it’s like an entire meal and full of great enzymes for digestion)
- Smoothies (see our mix and match guide below)
- Apple slices or halves with almond or cashew butter
- Liquid Cinnamon Rolls (a decadent smoothie)
- Poppy Seed Biscuits with coconut butter (or almond butter)
- Chocolate Walnut Scones
Shake Mix and Match Ingredients
- Base Ingredients: coconut water, brewed herbal tea (warm, cold or room temperature), yerba mate, nut milks, seed milks, teccino, water
- Sweeteners: stevia, yacon, fruit, berries, dates or other dried fruits (moderate amounts)
- Fats and Protein: nuts, nut milk, rice milk, hemp seeds, hemp seed milk, coconut milk, shredded coconut, coconut oil, avocado, flax oil, hemp or brown rice protein powder (Vega, Living Harvest, Sun Warrior, Peaceful Planet- the quinoa one not the soy)
- Superfoods: green powders (Vitamineral Green), spirulina, sea salt, maca, lucuma, acai powder, mangosteen (berries or powder), mesquite, chlorella tablets, bee pollen, raw cacao
- Extras: carob, cinnamon, vanilla (powder or extract), nutmeg, ginger (minced root or powder), handfuls of greens (kale, spinach, swiss chard, dandelion, nettles, watercress, sprouts, etc.), cucumbers, apples,
Mix and match the above ingredients as you want. . . and try these recipes too.