Celery root is an often ignored powerhouse of nutrition. This vitamin and mineral-rich root is usually found during it's season of the cooler months. We love to use variety in our diets, to make sure we are covering our nutritional bases. This soup is great on the cleanse, or just when eating clean to maintain the results.
Health benefits of celery root can really help improve our liver and bladder function, reduce inflammation and swelling in the body, and help stimulate our metabolism. It is known to have a calming, analgesic, antiseptic, anti-allergenic recommended to those who suffer from various problems with digestive system, including ulcers, gastritis, indigestion, a lack of appetite and so on.
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 medium sized celery root, roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized apple, peeled and quartered
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 6-8 shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- Place the onion, celery, celery root, apple and herbs into a medium sized pot.
- Add 1 quart of broth or water. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, heat up a saute pan and melt one tablespoon of coconut oil.
Once hot, add in the sliced shiitakes, gently tossing and cooking until lightly browned (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the peas just before the mushrooms are done cooking, so they’re warmed through.
- Pour the contents of the pot (except for the thyme and bay leaf) into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Use any additional coconut milk to thin to desired consistency.
Optional: top with sauteed shiitake mushrooms and hazelnuts.
If you enjoyed this article, you might also like Warm Up Your Detox with Acorn Squash Soup