Here is a delicious and nutritious chicken stir fry meal that’s quick and a whole family-pleaser. This recipe is a Cleaner alternative to the chicken stir fry we may find when we go out to eat. The pickiest of eaters will gobble up this meal, and it works with whatever vegetables at hand. Don’t be afraid to change it up with what’s in your fridge, garden, or at the local farmers’ market. Enjoy!
Chicken Stir Fry Ingredients
1 chicken breast, split in half lengthwise, then cut into thin strips
1 fennel bulb, remove core, slice thin
2 cups sliced crimini or white button mushrooms
1 cup chopped raddichio (or any hearty leafy green like kale or spinach)
1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice (see below)
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
zest of 1 lemon
sea salt to taste
- Cook the wild rice by adding 1 cup wild rice to 2 cups boiling water, once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for 30-40 minutes. You can also soak the rice overnight to reduce cooking time, 1 cup of rice in 3 cups of water, cover and in the morning, strain, rinse and place rice in a cooking pot. Cover with enough water to go 1/2 inch over and simmer only 15-20 minutes.
2. Slice the chicken and garlic and chop greens, fennel and mushrooms.
3. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and when hot, add the chicken and garlic, tossing gently. Allow to brown on one side (2-3 minutes).
4. Add in the mushrooms and fennel. Cook for 1 minute then add the raddichio (or whatever dark green you're using). Cook just until wilted then stir in the wild rice, lemon, and oregano.
5. Continue to stir the pan to incorporate all the ingredients into one another and season with a few teaspoons of sea salt.
6. Remove and serve once the wild rice is hot.