A perfect creamy soup that’s sweet and nourishing. The hemp gives it some protein and the coconut milk adds essential healthy fats. The brilliant color alone is worth making this for, it will definitely brighten up your winter nights.
- 2 medium sized beets
- 1 small shallot, peeled and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Garnish: ½ ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced into wedges
- Peel the beets and cut into quarters.
- Place on a steaming dish, along with the shallot and garlic, above an inch of water. Cover the pot, bring to a boil and steam until tender. (If you don’t have a steamer, you can put a half-inch of water in a pot, place the vegetables in the water, cover and steam it that way)
- Put the vegetables into a high sped blender along with the leftover steaming liquid (should be bright red). Add the vinegar, hemp seeds, and parsley.
- Blend the soup while drizzling in enough coconut milk to develop smooth creamy consistency. Taste, season with sea salt.
- Serve in bowls with slices of avocado.
Recipe by Frank Giglio / Photo by Jenny Nelson