Yes, it’s possible to make a clean version of this delicious slow simmered and aromatic soup! It may not have the crusty bread and melted cheese, but trust us, this version is just as soul satisfying and much more energizing!
Perfect for your solid lunch on the cleanse along with a side salad and/or some grains. . .or feel free to puree it up and have a slightly different and delicious (although not traditional) onion soup for a cleanse-friendly dinner.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 yellow onions, peeled, cut in half, then sliced into thin pieces (tiny crescent moon shape)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic or celery salt OR wheat free tamari
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat, adding the coconut oil and when it’s melted, add in your onions.
- The next steps are very important, as it’s where you really bring out the onion flavor and create a sweet and incredible tasting soup.
- Continue to cook until the onions have turned a golden brown color and have shrunk by half their original size. Be mindful to keep stirring every so often to prevent burning as you cook the onions.
- Stir in the garlic, cook an additional 2 minutes, then add the bay leaf and dried thyme, and add water, so the onions are covered by 2 inches.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat to a simmer and allow to slowly cook for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt or tamari to taste, and serve warm.