We're listing our top 12 tips to boost a weak immune system to help your body stay clean and healthy, post-21-Day Clean Program. Even if you do end up catching a cold, these suggestions will help speed up your recovery! If we want to stay strong and healthy all year long, nothing is better than giving the body a little extra love to help boost a weak immune system.
Lifestyle Practices to Boost a Weak Immune System
- Exercise: Reduced exercise, especially in winter, can cause us to drag and to feel off. Movement can support your detox organs, keeps your lymph moving, and gives a natural boost to a weak immune system.
- Get Outside: When we spend too much time indoors, we can’t benefit from fresh air and sunshine. Buildings have less ventilation than the outdoors, providing viruses the ideal conditions to hop from one host to another as this study about crowded dormitories shows.
- Sleep: The greatest tool for stress reduction which can boost a weak immune system is sleep. Optimize your sleep and commit to at least 8 hours a night.
- Alcohol: Be mindful of alcohol consumption. Too much dehydrates your body and depresses a weak immune system and makes it easier to get sick.
- Handwashing: Wash your hands with hot water especially after using a computer and before making food.
Supplements to Boost a Weak Immune System
- Vitamin D3: Take vitamin D3 daily. If you’re not spending time in the sun, consider taking 2,000 IU as a maintenance dose. During winter, take 3,000-4,000 IU of vitamin D3 to help reduce your chances of contracting a cold and seasonal moodiness.
- Probiotics: Why take probiotics? Taking probiotics helps our bodies usher out toxins we encounter from our food and water. Additionally, they help modulate your immune system and fight sickness-causing invaders.
- Enzymes: Often, a weak immune system is triggered by undigested food particles. Digestive enzymes help us digest the foods we eat by improving nutrient assimilation and supporting the immune system. Take enzymes with meals, especially if they are fatty and protein-rich.
Dietary Changes to Improve Your Weak Immune System
- Daily Shake: Supportive nutrients and proteins are key to a properly functioning immune system. Having a Daily Shake is an excellent way to get the micronutrients your immune system needs in a tasty easy-to-make form.
- Eat More Fruits + Veggies: Bump up your intake of plant foods and green powders. Plant phytonutrients help to relieve stress, reduce inflammation, and revive a weak immune system.
- Reduce Irritating Foods: Gluten, dairy, sugar, and alcohol are the most common foods that cause irritation, sensitivities, and allergies. Be intentional about when you eat these foods or swap in clean whole foods.
- Clean House: The Clean Program is the ultimate weak-immune-system-support. It reduces many of the food items and unhealthy habits that overburden a weak immune system. We recommend doing an extended detox program at least once a year to give your body a chance to clean house and to show it some much-needed appreciation!
If you enjoyed this article, you might also like Bone Broth Recipe + And Other Immunity Drink Ideas