Beet soup is a unique and surprisingly delicious way to enjoy the nutritional benefits of beets. We recommend enjoying beet soup for dinner on the 21-Day Clean Program as a replacement for a shake or as a midday meal with a nice kale salad.
This recipe makes for a perfect creamy beet soup that’s sweet and nourishing. The hemp gives it some protein and the coconut milk adds essential healthy fats. The brilliant color alone makes this soup worth making, and it will definitely brighten up our winter nights.
Benefits of Beet Soup
Beets are beneficial to our health in several ways — these vitamin c, fiber, and potassium packed vegetables aid the immune system and muscle function. Betalain pigments aid in detoxification, making this soup an even better for cleansing on the Clean Program. The betaine in beets also helps to fight inflammation.
Apple cider vinegar helps to detoxify and alkalize our systems. Acetic acid, the vinegar’s active component, and enzymes, and good bacteria also support digestion.
Hemp seeds may be small in size, but these seeds are dense with various vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that promote cardiovascular health. Fibrous and filled with protein, hemp seeds help to cleanse the colon and provide the body with all 20 amino acids.
A Vegan Soup that’s Creamy
We can thank coconut milk for this beet soup’s savory creamy texture. Luckily for us, all that taste comes with several wellness-boosting effects. Coconuts and coconut-based — oil, milk, water, flour, and more — products are wildly popular for good reason. Coconut milk carries with it healthy saturated fatty acids that don’t raise but actually helps to lower cholesterol. This milk also contains lauric acid, which the body can easily absorb and use for energy. The medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) in coconut milk help to build muscle and burn fat. With additional benefits such as lower blood pressure, digestion improvement, and constipation relief, coconut milk makes for a great alternative to dairy milk, which can cause irritable bowel syndrome and acne.
- 2 medium sized beets
- 1 small shallot, peeled and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Garnish: ½ ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced into wedges
- Peel the beets and cut into quarters.
- Place on a steaming dish, along with the shallot and garlic, above an inch of water. Cover the pot, bring to a boil and steam until tender. (If you don’t have a steamer, you can put a half-inch of water in a pot, place the vegetables in the water, cover and steam it that way)
- Put the vegetables into a high speed blender along with the leftover steaming liquid (should be bright red). Add the vinegar, hemp seeds, and parsley.
- Blend the soup while drizzling in enough coconut milk to develop smooth creamy consistency. Taste, season with sea salt.
- Serve in bowls with slices of avocado.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like Butternut Squash and Beet Soup
Recipe by Frank Giglio / Photo by Jenny Nelson