Want to know how to get clear skin? A crucial, but often overlooked factor is detoxification. We’ve seen the 21-Day Clean Program transform dull, blemish-prone skin into a glowing, clear complexion countless times.
How Detoxification Supports Clear Skin
When the body is overburdened by environmental toxins and food triggers, this will show on the skin through blemishes, rashes, dull, uneven skin tone and even wrinkles. Looking older, having sensitive and inflamed skin, and losing the radiant glow of healthy skin are all directly related to this overburdened state.
If our primary pathways of elimination like the liver and bowels are sluggish or not doing their job, the body will recruit the other organs of elimination, such as our skin, to compensate. If this happens, our skin pays the price with breakouts and problems that cosmetics and creams applied to the surface can’t fix.
When the body’s natural elimination process is supported through good nutrients,and toxins are moving out with regular elimination, the skin becomes clearer, brighter, smoother, and appears younger.
How to Get Clear Skin with Four Detox Supporting Tips
You can support good daily detoxification not only with a Clean diet, but with some easy clear skin tips that support the lymphatic system and circulation. Here’s how to get clear skin with some of our favorite detox tools:
Sweat it Out with Infrared Sauna
Sitting in a sauna maximizes elimination through the skin by boosting sweating. The most effective sauna is an infrared sauna. This newer technology heats up the user’s body instead of heating the air with steam like a traditional Finnish sauna.
Some of the benefits of infrared saunas include:
- Detoxification: Increased sweating helps move toxins through the skin and out of the body, instead of leaving them to block pores and cause irritation.
- Circulation: You may notice that your heart beats faster while in a sauna. This increase in circulation helps move toxins along, and also increases oxygen and nutrient flow to the skin.
- Skin purification: Eliminating toxins from your pores via sweating leaves skin clearer and softer.
Using an infrared sauna one or more times a week is a great way to support good detox and healthy skin. Remember to hydrate well before and after sitting in the sauna.
Brush Your Shoulders Off with Skin Brushing
Skin brushing is a simple, cheap, and effective practice that will help toxin elimination and can easily be done daily. Skin brushing involves using a soft, natural-bristle brush on your dry skin before a bath or shower.
Some of the benefits of skin brushing include:
- Circulation: Brushing the skin in circular motions from head to toe encourages blood flow and good circulation.
- Detoxification: Skin brushing stimulates the flow of lymph, encouraging detox and supporting the immune system.
- Exfoliation: Blemishes are often caused by clogged pores from dead skin cells. Regular skin brushing exfoliates dead skin cells and removes them from the skin’s surface.
Switch up Your Shower with Hot-Cold Plunges
Here’s how to get clear skin during your daily routine: in a hot-cold plunge, you alternate between hot and cold water repeatedly during your shower to boost circulation and detoxification.
Some of the benefits of hot-cold plunges include:
- Circulation: The sudden jolt of cold water gets the heart pumping and blood flowing.
- Inflammation: Incorporating cold water during a shower helps to calm redness and reduce inflammation.
- Detoxification: The shock of hot and cold water stimulates the lymphatic system.
While in the shower, turn the water as hot as you can tolerate for 30-60 seconds and then as cold as you can go for 30-60 seconds and repeat this 4 or 5 times.
Relax and Detoxify with Detox Bath
A detox bath is another simple way to support cleansing through the skin by increasing sweating, but this one you can do from your very own home.
Some of the benefits of detox baths include:
- Detoxification: A good detox bath will make you sweat, moving toxins through the skin.
- Relaxation: Stress, anxiety and negative thoughts are also triggers for problem skin. Taking the time to unwind and soak in the tub is great for stress management.
- Circulation: Yet another way to get the blood flowing, a detox bath will get more oxygen and nutrients to the skin.
Draw a warm bath and add 1-3 cups of Epsom salts and 1-2 cups of baking soda, or a detoxifying bath mix like Pursoma. Epsom salts help to replenish magnesium levels and flush toxins while baking soda provides antibacterial qualities and also aids in mineral absorption. Add fresh ginger, ginger powder, or ginger tea bags to increase sweating. If you get too hot, add cold water to the tub. Drink lots of water before and after a detox bath.