Considering how vital magnesium is to the overall function and well-being of our bodies, you may be surprised to learn that most of us are deficient in it. From food grown in magnesium-depleted soil to malabsorption of nutrients from sluggish digestive health, magnesium deficiency has become common. Our magnesium product, Eliminate, contributes to healthy digestion, and provides natural stress and sleep support as well.
Magnesium protects heart health, nerve function, and enzyme activity; produces and maintains energy, sustains the integrity of blood vessels, helps regulate blood sugar, produces new proteins and cells, and contributes to over 300 chemical reactions in the body. Not surprisingly, magnesium deficiency creates a diverse array of health problems, such as:
- Insomnia and difficulty sleeping
- Cardiovascular disease and hypertension
- Constipation and digestive problems
- Chronic fatigue
- Calcium deficiency
- Muscle cramping and spasms
- Panic attacks and anxiety
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Cognitive problems: difficulty concentrating and memory loss
- Loss of appetite
Salmon, kidney beans, and chard (leafy greens) are also high in magnesium. Eating a magnesium-rich diet and using magnesium supplements can go a long way in helping to improve and maintain the health of our bodies. Supplementing with a range of 100 to 350 mg a day, in addition to regularly eating magnesium-rich foods, should have you covered.
There are myriad benefits to fixing a magnesium deficiency, and it’s good to know how a magnesium-rich nutritional plan will improve your health. Here are the top 10 benefits of adequate magnesium in our diets.
1. Reduce your risk of diabetes. Magnesium plays a key role in glucose and carbohydrate metabolism. It also helps keep blood sugar levels stable and reduces insulin resistance.
2. Protect your bones. Magnesium is important for the assimilation of calcium into bone formation and protecting bone health, and plays a role in activating vitamin D in the kidneys.
3. Alleviate symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. Studies show that magnesium helps relieve the symptoms of PMS, such as breast tenderness, bloating, weight gain, and insomnia. Magnesium combined with vitamin B6 is even more powerful in relieving PMS.
4. Improve and maintain heart health. Magnesium is crucial to maintaining healthy muscle, and this includes the heart. Adequate magnesium is also associated with a reduced risk of hypertension (high blood pressure), and a reduced risk of atherosclerosis, which is a fatty build-up on the walls of arteries.
5. Relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety. Low levels of magnesium contribute to depression, and eating a magnesium-rich diet and supplementing as needed is a powerful way to regulate your mood.
6. Calm inflammation. A deficiency in magnesium contributes to chronic inflammation in the body. Inflammation is a precursor to premature aging, chronic illnesses, and obesity. Magnesium supplements have been shown to reduce the inflammatory marker CRP; in the same way that magnesium-rich foods are also anti-inflammatory.
7. Regulate your nervous system. Magnesium helps regulate neurotransmitters, which facilitate communication between the brain and nervous system.
8. Promote healthy digestion. Magnesium helps relax the muscle walls of the digestive tract and activates enzymes which help your body digest and utilize fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.
9. Heal back pain and muscle cramps. Magnesium helps heal and relax tight and spasming muscles. Leg cramps are a classic sign of magnesium deficiency, so adequate intake will help relieve these as well.
10. Essential for a healthy pregnancy. Adequate magnesium is important during pregnancy, creating strong teeth and bones for your baby. Supplementing can also help with pain tolerance to contribute to an easier delivery.
In sum, there are so many ways that magnesium helps build and maintain your health. From promoting healthy digestive function to anxiety relief, magnesium is powerful support during your 21-Day Cleanse and beyond. Our Clean-developed magnesium product, Eliminate, will also assist you during your cleanse and as needed thereafter; it contributes to healthy digestion (a key component to successful detox), and provides natural stress and sleep support as well.
Written by Carolyn De Lorenzo
If you like this article, you might also like 7 Foods That Boost Collagen for Youthful Skin