Whether you are undergoing your first 21-Day Cleanse, or are maintaining your clean and wellness-centered lifestyle between cleanses, healing modalities which promote our well-being holistically, like Reiki, are an invaluable resource. We recommend doing some form of bodywork to supplement your cleanse, be it massage, acupuncture, cryotherapy, dry-brushing, or Reiki, as it will help maximize your results. However, all can be used to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Developed in the early 20th century by Mikao Usui, Reiki is the Japanese word for universal life energy. Reiki is a method of energy healing based on the use of therapeutic touch (or without touch, depending on the practitioner). Though it has been dismissed by many professionals for decades, as the notion of life force energy (the healing force behind the practice of Reiki) is generally considered immeasurable and therefore medically irrelevant, research is now revealing something different.
Recent data from New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Campus shows conclusive evidence of the biological benefits of Reiki from lowered stress response, blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate. But Reiki practitioners affirm that Reiki’s power lies in guided life force energy, which is transmitted to the patient through the healing power of the practitioner’s touch, and the results are nothing short of profound. Here are five powerful benefits of Reiki:
- Promotes emotional healing and spiritual growth. Reiki is becoming widely used in hospitals and clinics as an adjunct to traditional care, as it promotes peace and well being in patients. Similar to meditation, Reiki supports emotional growth and calm in practitioners and patients; yielding increased mental clarity, capacity for love and empathy, and emotional well-being.
- Relieves symptoms of various cancers. Reiki does not claim a cure for cancer, but it can offer relief from related chronic pain, fatigue, and depression. In a study published in the Integrative Cancer Therapy Journal, consecutive Reiki treatments in various cancer patients offered significant relief from anxiety, pain, and fatigue, and contributed to greater overall well-being.
- Supports relaxation and stress relief. The energy, or biofield, healing method of Reiki is designed to trigger the body’s relaxation response and reduce stress, which aids the immune system in fighting illness. The biofield is the scientific term for the subtle vibrational energy field that surrounds and interconnects with our physical bodies. Stress contributes to many illnesses, and stress reduction and relaxation are proven benefits of Reiki treatments.
- Provides relief from chronic pain, anxiety, and depression. Research shows that Reiki helps support mental health, and reduces the symptoms of anxiety, depression, mood disturbances, and chronic pain.
- Heals inflammation and infections. Due to its stress-relieving effect, Reiki can boost the immune system to more effectively heal and reduce infections and inflammation in the body.
Reiki is becoming increasingly integrated into traditional medical care as a powerful adjunct to healing and promoting well-being in patients. It is gentle, comforting, and non-traumatic, and is easily integrated into an overall wellness and lifestyle plan. Whether you are looking to improve mild health concerns, are searching for ways to reduce stress, or are grappling with more significant health challenges, Reiki is a profound and effective method for healing on a multi-layered and holistic level: mind, body, and spirit.
Written by Carolyn de Lorenzo
If you enjoyed this article, you might also like Here Are the 8 Best Essential Oils for Stress Relief