This warm kale salad recipe, along with other dark leafy greens, comes with a slew of benefits for our bodies. In the cold winter months, they’re easier on digestion and, when cooked lightly before eating, provide warming energy to our bodies. Add chicken to a kale salad for a protein boost that is great for your hormones.
Dark leafy greens are some of the healthiest foods out there and are the most nutritionally dense foods per calorie. We are big fans of putting them in our smoothies, but it’s wonderful to get the benefits in a comforting meal. Along with a high quality pastured animal fat and protein source like chicken, we have a meal that does our bodies a world of good, whether or not we’re currently on the Clean Program!
So gather the following ingredients and enjoy this meal over and over. . .
- 1 chicken breast (organic, free-range or local)
- ¼ roughly chopped and pitted olives
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large shallot, peeled and cut into thin circles
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- ½ lemon (for the juice)
- A drizzle of good quality olive oil
- ½ to 1 tsp sea salt
- Cut the chicken breast into thin strips then season with lightly with sea salt.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and melt. (Getting your pan nice and hot will help prevent the chicken from sticking in the pan)
- Add the chicken breast and cook for 1 minute then flip each one over.
- Add in the garlic, shallots and capers, tossing gently.
- Cook for an additional minute or two before adding the kale.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon over the kale after it’s added, give a quick stir, then place a lid over the pan. Steam until the kale is wilted (2-3 minutes).
- Toss in the olives, drizzle in a bit of olive oil, and add a pinch of salt.
- Serve warm.
Recipe: Frank Giglio
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like A Magical Kale Salad That Will Leave You Full and Satisfied